Cesar L. Villanueva
CESAR L. VILLANUEVA re-joined in 01 July 2016 the Law Firm VILLANUEVA GABIONZA & DY immediately at the end of his tenure as Chairman & CEO of the GOVERNANCE COMMISSION FOR GOCCS (GCG), which is the government agency tasked to implement the objectives of R.A. No. 10149, otherwise known as the “GOCC Governance Act of 2011,” to act as the central advisory, monitoring, and oversight body with authority to formulate, implement and coordinate policies governing the GOCCs, GFIs and GCEs in the country. He was an original Founding Partner of VILLANUEVA GABIONZA & DY, 20/f 139 Corporate Center, 139 Valero Street, Salcedo Village, Makati City 1200, until his appointment to the GCG, which was a Cabinet-level rank.
On 05 May 2016, named as the first recipient of the Ambassador Cesar B. Bautista Award for Good Governance in recognition of the many achievements pioneered as the first Chairman of the Governance Commission for GOCCs (GCG), from the Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD).
On 23 June 2016, Secretary Villanueva was awarded the PRESIDENTIAL MEDAL OF MERIT by H.E. PRESIDENT BENIGNO S. AQUINO III at formal ceremonies held at Malacañan, for “outstanding, dedicated work and exceptional leadership as the Chairman of Governance Commission for GOCCs; for support of the administration’s platform of clean and honest governance; and for choosing to thread the straight and righteous path, in good service to the Filipino people.”
Secretary Villanueva was the Dean of the ATENEO DE MANILA LAW SCHOOL from 2004 to 2011, and remains a professorial lecturer in Corporation Law, Agency & Trusts, Partnerships & Joint Ventures, and Law on Sales. Shortly after his Law Deanship, he was awarded in November 2011 by the LEGAL EDUCATION BOARD with the first Outstanding Law Dean (Gold Category) for “a consummately impressive superintendence of the ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY LAW SCHOOL.”
Dean Villanueva was the Chairman of the Commercial Law Department of the PHILIPPINE JUDICIAL ACADEMY (PHILJA) of the Supreme Court, and was a member of its Academic Council.
He was a member of the Governing Board of the MANDATORY CONTINUING LEGAL EDUCATION (MCLE) of the Supreme Court. He was also a member of the Technical Panel for Legal Education of the COMMISSION OF HIGHER EDUCATION (CHED) from October 2005 to January 2010.
In 2011, he was appointed the Executive Secretary for the ADMINISTRATIVE TRIBUNAL of the ASIAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (ADB).
Dean Villanueva was a member of the Board of Directors of the Clark International Airport Corp. (CIAC), and the Redondo Peninsula Energy, Inc. (RP Energy), Chairman of the Board of Clark Development Corporation (CDC), a independent director of Makati Medical Center and the Redondo Peninsula Energy, Inc. before his appointment to GCG.
He was also a member of the Board of Trustees of the INSTITUTE OF CORPORATE DIRECTORS (ICD), of which he remains a Fellow. He is also a Fellow of the AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE ON COMPANY DIRECTORS (AICD).
Dean Villanueva was a founding member and remains a member of the Board of Trustees of the KAPAMPANGAN DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION (KDF).
On 11 December 2011, received the Most Outstanding Kapampangan Award from the Provincial Government of Pampanga.
In February 2012, received the Anvil Award of Merit in Public Relations Tools for the coffee table book, “VERITAS, INTEGRITAS, JUSTITIA: 75 YEARS OF THE ATENEO LAW SCHOOL” from the Public Relations Society of the Philippines, for presenting a panoramic view of how gallant the Philippines’ legal profession has progressed in 75 years, from the Public Relations Society of the Philippines. He also received in November 2011 the “Philippine Quill Award” Category 20 from the INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BUSINESS COMMUNICATORS (IABC) PHILIPPINES as co-publisher of the said coffee-table book.
Dean Villanueva obtained his Accounting degree (B.S.C.) from HOLY ANGEL UNIVERSITY (magna cum laude) in 1977, and his Bachelor of Laws Degree (LL.B.) from ATENEO DE MANILA LAW SCHOOL (valedictorian, cum laude). He sat for the Philippine Bar Examinations in November, 1981 (placing 2nd), and the following May, 1982 took the CPA Board Examinations (placing 6th). He obtained in 1989 his Master of Laws (LL.M.) from HARVARD LAW SCHOOL at Cambridge, Massachusetts. In October 2005, he was conferred a Diplomate in Juridical Science (D.J.S.) by the SAN BEDA GRADUATE SCHOOL OF LAW.
He is author of leading legal books: Commentaries on the Revised Corporation Code, Commercial Law Review, Philippine Corporate Law, Agency & Trusts, Partnerships & Joint Ventures; Law on Sales; and Law and Practice on: PHILIPPINE CORPORATE GOVERNANCE, which received the 2009 National Book Award on Professions given by the NATIONAL BOOK DEVELOPMENT BOARD and the MANILA CRITICS CIRCLE.
Dean Villanueva has several published legal articles, which include:
- Philippine Corporate Law Practice: Defining the Mandates of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Through the Resolution of the Jurisdictional Conflicts with the Regional Trial Courts (RTC) over Corporate and Securities Cases, 60 Ateneo Law Journal 652 (No. 3, February 2016).
- The Great Restructuring of the Public Corporate Sector: The Rights, Duties and Responsibilities of GOCC Directors, Officers and Employees, 59 Ateneo Law Journal 41 (No. 1, June 2014).
- Revised Code of Corporate Governance: A Reactionary Approach, IBP Journal (Vol. 35 No. 1, August 2010).
- The Evolution of Philippine Commercial Law System, 50 Ateneo Law Journal (No. 3, December 2005).
- Defining the Gravamen: The Bar Reform Movement, XLVIII Ateneo Law Journal (No. 3, December 2003).
- Judicial Activism in Commercial Laws, The Lawyers Review (December 2003).
- Revisiting the Philosophical Underpinnings of Philippine Commercial Laws, XLVI Ateneo Law Journal (No. 3 December 2001).
- Revisiting the Philippine Law on Corporate Rehabilitation, XLIII Ateneo Law Journal (No. 2, May, 1999).
- Unifying Philippine Laws on Business Names, The Lawyers Review (No. 4, April 1999).
- Philippine Law Governing Joint Ventures, 1997 Edition of the International Publication of the Center for International Legal Studies, Schwighmuhl Weg 6b, A-5020 Salzburg, Austria.
- The Penal Provision Under Sec. 144 of the Corporation Code, X The Lawyers Review (No. 2, February 1996).
- Corporate Contract Law: Unifying Theme on Theories Relating to Promoter’s Contracts, De Facto Corporations, Corporation by Estoppel, Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, and Ultra Vires Acts, XXXVIII Ateneo Law Journal (No. 2, June 1994).
- Philippine Doctrine of Doing Business for Foreign Corporations, VII The Lawyers Review, (Nos. 4 & 6), April & June 1993.
- Restatement of the Doctrine of Piercing the Veil of Corporate Fiction, XXXVII Ateneo Law Journal (No. 2).
- Jurisprudential Analyses of the Jurisdiction of the Securities and Exchange Commission in Intra-Corporate Disputes and Corporate Investment Devices and Schemes, VI The Lawyers Review (No. 10, October 1992).
- The Fiduciary Duties of Directors and Officers Representing the Creditor Pursuant to a Loan Workout Arrangement: Parameters Under Philippine Corporate Setting, XXXV Ateneo Law Journal (No. 1, February, 1991).
- Comparative Study of the Judicial Role and Its Effect on the Theory on Judicial Precedents in the Philippine Hybrid Legal System, 65 Phil Law Journal (Nos. 1 & 2, March-June, 1990).
- The Philippine Close Corporation, XXXII Ateneo Law Journal (No. 2, March, 1988).
- The Trust Fund Doctrine Under Philippine Corporate Setting, XXXI Ateneo Law Journal (No. 1, February, 1987).